I’m embarking on a grand journey. A beautiful experiment. A fascinating endeavor. As in my last blog post I talked all about how I want to turn my life in this new direction: seeking pleasure for my own happiness’ sake. I’m taking a lighthearted approach and treating it as a game to be played instead of something I have to do.
Well here I go! How did I make this week fun and pleasurable? Hmmm let’s take a closer look.
- I enjoyed my favorite Brooklyn Blackout cake in honor of my birthday.
- I rearranged my yoga schedule to spend my birthday with girlfriends instead of working. Since I always choose work over everything this was huge for me!
- I went see a movie just for the sheer pleasure of having some no-thinking-allowed downtime for a couple of hours. Even though the movie wasn’t a particular favorite it felt damn good to just enjoy the experience of a free afternoon.
- I reached out to my mom and my best girlfriend when I knew I needed emotional support. This too has been a no-no in the past. What? Me. Admit I’m week and need a shoulder to lean on? I never went there. Well folks, it looks like I’m going there. Screw it I’m only one small person in this big world trying to make her way and I NEED help. (Pssst! That’s me…turning a new leaf!)
- I avoided a beach trip I felt would be awkward and opted for a different beach trip that made me much happier. I followed my gut on that one and I’m relieved I did. Otherwise my weekend would have been ruined and this gal would be wearing a sad face. How’s that for expertly moving the chess pieces of my life?
- I asked for what I really wanted on two dates I had last week. Even when the guy countered with alternate suggestions and wanted to go to other bars I insisted we go where I wanted. Oh wow… was that me not being a doormat? Yes, I think that’s what just happened.
- Music makes me ecstatically happy and I’ve used this cheat many times this week. It’s a super quick way to alter my mood in any direction. Don’t worry, I use it for good not evil!
I can actually visualize myself saying no to someone now. When they ask “Why” I’ll reply “Because that doesn’t make me happy.” Period, no need to explain myself. No ma’am! So just so we’re clear the day I bring that visualization to life will be in the top 10 best days of my life. Mark my word: it’s coming soon.
Here I am writing this post from a wretchedly creaky No. 2 pencil-yellow school bus that is Bushwick-bound. It’s comical: the shocks are so bad on this bus that every time we hit a bump my iPad thinks I’m shaking it and asks if I want to undo the typing. Oh dear:) I’ve just finished a day at the beach with friends and have a painful sunburn down the back of legs and gritty sand in my shoes… But ya know what?
Toodles my loves,
Look me up:
Further my passion with a donation or gift.